Sunday, April 1, 2007

Well...here goes nothing!

My 1st post - anyone else nervous?

Trying to decide what to post 1st has caused a short delay in getting this blog off the ground. Do I start with what is happening now? Do I back track and retell some of our favorite stories? How far back should I go?

So I decided to briefly tell about the beginning of our Johnson family and then jump ahead to where we are now.

Flashback...

April 25, 2005

While at work I got an unexpected phone call from the adoption agency we had been working with to adopt a child from Ethiopia. Our dossier had been received just one business day before and I was fearful she was going to rattle off a list of papers that were missing. Instead she said "Do you have a moment? Because I'd like to tell you about a little girl!" After getting as much info as I could from her and running all over town to find Brian, we raced home to get the email with a referral for this beautiful little girl. Immediately we knew this precious little bundle was our daughter and started the process of preparing to bring her home.
(this is one of the pictures we received before we traveled to meet her)




June 19, 2005

8 weeks later we were on a plane to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to meet her, love her and bring her home. Our trip was a very quick 10 days, trying to take in as much of her country and culture as we could. Here is the photo of our first few moments with her. Yes, she is wearing a Minnesota Vikings outfit, but we tried to look beyond that! Introducing Aaliyah Konjit Hubacher Johnson!




While in Ethiopia we were able to stay right at the Care Center where she had been living. During the day she would nap in the nursery with the nannies and I would play with the older children in their school room. Completely beyond my control and logic, I fell in love with an amazing little boy - with eyes that contained his entire soul and could see right into mine. Caught up in the moment I even had a meeting with the Center Director to talk about bring him home with us that trip (all while Brian was upstairs taking a nap). Unfortunately, US Immigration had only approved us for one child and we had to leave without him.

Our lives were refreshingly different being the blissful new parents of a baby girl and cruising along as expected. There are many pieces to our story I am leaving out here, which collectively adjusted our path and the path of the little boy that I couldn't forget - all leading to the realization that this was truly meant to be - he was always meant to be a part of our family. So 10 months later, I was on a plane back to Ethiopia to finally bring him home.

April 15, 2006

Introducing Mulugeta Brian Johnson

Our first moments as a family of four at our hometown airport. The Johnson family as we know it now - 2 kids in 10 months - a 4 year old and a 1 year old.

Who would have thought?

~C







4 comments:

Katie said...

You have a beautiful family and I really enjoyed spending time with you last month! I can't wait to meet Ziggy!

Anonymous said...

The beautiful Johnson family - just as it is meant to be - love you all!

meredith said...

What a beautiful family!! I don't think I'll ever forget when Brian woke up from his nap and we were all talking about Mulu!
It's so amazing that you are one family :) What a wonderful story!

Colleen said...

Fabulous to read your wonderful words, to gain a little more insight into your amazing journey (in all respects)and to see, albeit from afar, how a beautiful family of three (when I last saw you) has turned into a stunningly beautiful family of four! Love to you all.